Signing up for a GP

If you’re just leaving service and you’re coming back to Liverpool you’ll need to sign up with your local general practitioner (GP) on the NHS in order to access services.

  • When you leave service you should be given a form FMED 133 which requests that your military records are shared with your GP. You should also be signingupforagpgiven a summary record of your health history given to you on discharge
  • If you have a permanent address, you should start by looking for your local general practice – all practices in Liverpool have an open list and accept new patients, you can search for a GP near you here

Once you’ve found a GP, call up and ask to be added as a new patient, you’ll be asked to visit the practice:

  • When you first present for registration you’ll be given GS1 form to fill in – on the bottom of this form it will ask if you’re serving/ex-serving. If you let the GP know, you will be entitled to priority secondary care if your medical condition relates to your military service.
  • You’ll then be given a new patient medical assessment – here you’ll see a practice nurse, who will give you an overall assessment of your health and wellbeing and at this point they will usually request bloods

Struggling to get access to a GP or dentist?

Contact Healthwatch, they have a list of dentists who accept NHS patients. You can also call them on 03000 68 3000 which is FREE from mobile. You can find out more information about NHS veterans’ healthcare here


Back to Health & Wellbeing