POP IN AND VOLUNTEER
The royal British Legion is looking for volunteers to work in there pop in shop on Williamson street Liverpool city centre.
Purpose of role
Supporting the Area team, at the Advice and Information centres, secondary offices or outreach locations, in giving information to beneficiaries and members of the public.
• Welcome visitors to Legion premises or events, and support the Area team in staffing advice and information centres, secondary or outreach locations, where you will greet and answer queries from beneficiaries and members of the public.
• Assist beneficiaries to identify a range of support options, using our online information site. This will include information not only on the Legion’s own services but on those of other welfare organisations and statutory services.
• Support beneficiaries to utilise the Legion’s website as a source of information and support, assisting them to register online and develop an understanding of the self-support facilities available.
• Undertake one to one meetings with beneficiaries as required, supporting them to ensure that a basic needs assessment is completed. Support individual beneficiaries to identify the actions they will take and, where necessary, make recommendations to an Area Information Officer for future Legion support.
• Develop and maintain a working knowledge of the Legion, its mission, objectives and services, along with a basic understanding of the statutory benefits framework. Support and supervision There will be ongoing day to day support from the Area Team. Your supervisor will meet with you to discuss your volunteering, including workload, training and opportunities forpersonal development.
Benefits of the role
You will be helping to make a difference to the lives of members of the Armed Forces community. In doing so you will gain valuable experience of working in a professional, forward-looking charity that supports and campaigns for, and is responsive to, the needs of the Armed Forces community. You will be part of a friendly, committed team and meet a wide range of people. You will have the chance to draw on your skills and experience or acquire new skills, be accountable for carrying out tasks and you will have access to further training. This will give you valuable experience for the future, whether that be in the workforce or in further volunteering.
Draft Role Description – InformationVolunteer v5 090513
Personal qualities and requirements For this role we are looking for someone who is committed to our mission and values, enjoys meeting people and has good interpersonal skills. We would expect you to be a reliable and dependable team player and to:
• Be computer and internet literate – being confident to use a computer system, Microsoft Office, Google and be a regular email user
• Be confident to extract information from databases and the internet.
• Support others to do so and to input beneficiary data into Legion systems as required.
• Be committed to equality and diversity.
We require two satisfactory references from independent referees before confirming you in your role.
In order for the role to be rewarding for our beneficiaries, yourself and the Legion, we ask that you give a regular time commitment.
How we work together
We are grateful for your gift of time in helping us to support the Armed Forces community. In serving these beneficiaries we require that you:
• At all times respect beneficiary confidentiality and work in a personalised way based on sensitivity and respect for beneficiaries and members of the public.
• Act with integrity at all times and work collaboratively with colleagues, sharing knowledge and information within the team as appropriate.
• Work within agreed Legion policies and procedures and in accordance with the Legion’s Health and Safety policy and other appropriate guidelines.
• Attend updates and training meetings annually to keep up to date with the needs of your role and with what the Legion is doing.
• Respect the diversity of enquirers and beneficiaries, staff and volunteers and advise / support beneficiaries from a diverse range of backgrounds.
We aim to make your volunteering with the Legion an enjoyable and rewarding experience. We will also cover you on our insurance (excluding motor vehicles) and reimburse your travel expenses. For more infomation contact
The Royal British Legion25-31 Williamson Street Liverpool L1 1EB
Tel: 0333 011 4100